I can’t really take credit for starting our compost heaps, that was all Jared’s doing. Also his doing putting it in one of the garden beds, figure if we rotate that each year to a different bed we will have excellent results in that bed, and maybe a little extra gifts too.
Main Compost Heap w/ Kabocha Squash
I have come to support it for a few reasons:
- We have less food waste going into landfills
- It adds rich nutrients to the soil
- It recovers lost soil in the garden due to erosion
- Best of all – seeds get spread around the garden so we have extra veggies growing
My very first year of planting I planted a ton of tomato seeds, very few if any germinated – that’s what I get for buying “survival seeds” on eBay… anyway the compost came to the rescue! We had several rogue tomatoes thanks to the compost. Right now we have a giant kabocha squash growing in our main heap that has about 4 – 5 squashes on it – most we have ever had!
We also have another squash growing in the garden proper, I don’t what variety yet but I have a feeling it’s another kabocha Yippee!!
One cool project would be to spread the compost and see what comes up!
Posted in Garden, Help, Squash, Health Coaching, Self-Improvement, Self-Help, Vegan, Healthy Lifestyle, Kabocha
Tagged Abundance, healthy-living, Healthy Lifestyle, Garden, Vegan, Health Coaching, Self-Improvement, Self-Help, Health Coach, Passion, Compassion, Kabocha
You hear a lot about mindfulness but that can mean anything really.
From our Hong Kong Honeymoon in 2007
Yes for some it can include a meditation practice, however mindfulness can come from other places as well. I think of mindfulness as an awareness, and having an awareness of what happens around you, what others feel around and what you project to the world.
I prefer to think of mindfulness as a sort of awareness. It makes understanding the basics a bit easier in my opinion. And the beauty of awareness boils down to the fact that we can have an awareness of so many things. Things happening around the world, injustices to people (and animals) and injustices we see right in our own backyards.
But before you have expanded your awareness to the rest of the world, I ask you to focus the awareness on yourself.
Posted in Awareness, Compassion, Health Coaching, Healthy Lifestyle, Help, Meditation, Mindfulness, Self-Help, Self-Improvement, Vegan
Tagged Abundance, Awareness, Compassion, Health Coach, Health Coaching, Healthy Lifestyle, healthy-living, Mindfulness, Passion, Self-Help, Self-Improvement, Vegan
I figured it was about time I gave you guys a garden update.
This spring I didn’t have a chance to get my seeds started early so I pretty much planted as late as I ever have. As I was telling my friend Nelson, who does an awesome job running the Metuchen Farmer’s Market, my gardening philosophy is to take whatever I have and throw it in the ground…
So here’s what has come up
Kale and Mystery Squash
I also have these wild flower looking weeds that have really come in, thanks to my lack of weeding and making it more of a “permaculture” type plot. If anyone knows what these are please let me know!
What do you have growing in your garden??
I want to thank my friend Charanya from Yes I’m Vegan :) for nominating me. Below are the rules and questions to answer:
Rules for this award:
- Thank and link back the person who presented the award to you.
- Have the award on your post.
- Answer the questions that has been asked.
- Award the same to other upcoming blogs.
- What’s your favorite cuisine? Too many! Middle Eastern Maybe
- What would be the last meal you will love to eat? Something Indian or Falafel
- What is your favorite vege? Changes every day!
- Do you watch Game of Thrones? Yes, though I am behind but have read through book 5
- If you are vegan, why? If not, do you think you could be one for few days? at first it was fr health reasons but as I did more research my reasons became more ethical and environmental
- Is there anything your life wont be the same without? Nope not really
- What’s your favorite movie? Too many to name! I love bad movies!!
- Is there any color you loved as a kid? Green, now my fave is red
- Is there anything you would change in your life if life had a rewind button?
- Do you own an iphone or an android? iPhone
- 3 words that could describe you: Passion, Loyal, Independent
My nominees are:
1. Vegan Flavorista
3. A Lazy Girl Goes Green
5. The Novice Gardener
6. Vegan Muffin Woman
7. Epicurean Vegan
My questions are:
1. What is your favorite book?
2. What gets you up in the morning?
3. What color best describes you?
4. What do you do for fun?
5. If you could make one thing in the world right, what would that be?
Posted in Echinacea, Farmer's Market, Garden, Health Coaching, Healthy Lifestyle, Help, Kabucha, seed starter, seeds, Self-Help, Self-Improvement, Sunflowers, Tomatoes, Uncategorized, Urban Agriculture, Vegan, Vegetables
Tagged Compassion, Echinacea, Garden, health, Health Coach, Health Coaching, healthy-living, Passion, Self-Help, Self-Improvement, Squash, Tomatoes, Vegan
Here’s a yummy breakfast too quick, easy and yummy not to share.
1/2 Cup Strawberries
1/2 Cup Blueberries
2 Tbsp Walnuts
2 Tbsp Dried Coconut Chips or Flakes
Chop the kiwis, strawberries and the walnuts and combine in a bowl, add coconut. Mix well and enjoy!
Variations: You can use any nuts or seeds and fruit, including frozen fruit.
Posted in Blueberries, Breakfast, Kiwis, Recipe, Strawberries, Vegan
Tagged Abundance, Breakfast, Compassion, Health Coach, Health Coaching, Healthy Lifestyle, healthy-living, Passion, Recipe, Self-Help, Self-Improvement, Vegan
Every once in a while I get a deep sense of mojo loss. The best way to describe mojo loss is a feeling of what you are doing, or not doing, is not that important and you would much rather watch a marathon of episodes of Angel on Netflix.
As much as I would love to watch Angel all day – and I have! It’s important to get back in the swing of things. Here are few tips to help you get your mojo back:
1. Talk to friends, colleagues, peers, anyone that knows what you want to do and are about. Chatting can help you articulate any fears that may be lurking that is subconsciously trying to squash your mojo.
2. Have a heart to heart with yourself. We are often the harshest to ourselves, would you say the same things to another person that you say to yourself? If not, then stop it – be nice.
3. Do something that pertains to your mojo, sometimes we forget why we do what we do and getting back to the roots can help center you.
4. Take it easy, it’s possible that you are feeling burnout, if that’s the case then take a vacation, if you can’t go away then take a mini-vacation, even an afternoon off spent with family and friends or alone at a great spa can help re-energize you.
Reflect, reawaken and remember, you won’t be happy if your mojo is out of whack.
Posted in Change, Compassion, Health Coaching, Healthy Lifestyle, Help, Lessons, Mojo, Self-Help, Self-Improvement, Vegan
Tagged Abundance, Compassion, Health Coach, Health Coaching, Healthy Lifestyle, healthy-living, Mojo, Passion, Self-Help, Self-Improvement, Vegan
Recycling is all the rage now, that’s a good thing though I think people should also consider reusing before recycling. We have so many things that get thrown away that can be used. Most of my furniture is “reused” Aka, antiques and thrift store finds. The beauty about that is that you don’t have to worry about off-gassing materials. So the next time you go shopping think about what you have at home and ask yourself if you really need that.
If you are looking for ideas to reuse items, take a look at this Pinterest page.
I may use that toilet paper roll seed starter next year!
Please feel free to share any creative reuse ideas!
Posted in Health Coaching, Healthy Lifestyle, Recycling, Reuse, Self-Help, Self-Improvement, Vegan
Tagged Abundance, Compassion, Health Coach, Health Coaching, Healthy Lifestyle, healthy-living, Passion, Recycle, Reuse, Self-Help, Self-Improvement, Vegan
Plenty of times we lose sight of the important things in life. Sometimes I like to joke about first world problems, let’s face it, most of us are lucky to have those kinds of problems. You know, that difficult decision about what drink to get or what outfit to wear…
Grateful for my flowers
Every once in a while I like to focus on what is important to me and what I am grateful for, here’s my list:
I am grateful for the wonderful friends and family I have
I am grateful for the opportunity to do something different
I am grateful for the fur babies in my life
I am grateful to be able to live a life of compassion
I am grateful to live in a time that women can do so much
I am grateful for the rain we get since it will give me a beautiful garden
I am grateful for spell check
What are you grateful for?
Posted in Compassion, Garden, Gratitude, Health Coaching, Healthy Lifestyle, Love, Nurture, Self-Help, Self-Improvement, Vegan
Tagged Abundance, Compassion, Gratitude, Health Coach, Health Coaching, Healthy Lifestyle, healthy-living, Passion, Self-Help, Self-Improvement, Vegan